Frequently Asked Questions – Laser Hair Removal
Everything you need to know about your Venus Versa treatments
BEFORE THE LASER HAIR REMOVAL
- Am I a good candidate for this treatment? Will this treatment work for me?
Venus Versa™ hair removal treatments are for individuals who want to permanently reduce unwanted hair on their face or body because they’re tired of the conventional methods that only yield temporary results. You may not be able to get this hair removal treatment if you have/are:
- Metal or other implants in the treatment area;
- Current or history of cancer;
- Pregnant or nursing;
- Any diseases that can be stimulated by light (e.g. epilepsy);
- History of disease that can be stimulated by heat (e.g. herpes);
- Poorly controlled endocrine disorders (e.g. diabetes or polycystic ovary syndrome);
- Any active condition in the treatment area (e.g. eczema, psoriasis, rash);
- History of skin disorders, keloids, unusual wound healing, or excessively dry and/or sensitive skin;
- Any surgical procedures within the past 3 months;
- A tattoo or permanent makeup in the treatment area;
- Excessively tanned skin;
- I have darker skin – Can I still get this treatment done?
Venus Versa™ hair removal treatments are powered by Intense Pulsed Light technology, which targets the pigment under the skin’s surface. They tend to work best for light to medium skin tones with darker hair. The treatment may work on darker skin tones, but there is a higher risk of discoloration because darker skin has more pigment in it. It may also not work on very light hair, because the hair doesn’t have enough pigment in it to absorb the light. It’s best to consult with your treatment provider to see if the treatment is right for you. They will perform a test spot and wait between 15 minutes to 48 hours, depending on your complexion, to assess your skin’s reaction.
- Can I do it during my lunch time?
Perhaps—it depends on what part of the body you’re getting treated. If it’s a smaller area, it may only take as little as 15-30 minutes. A larger area, like two full legs, may take up to 60 minutes.
- How many sessions will I need to see results?
You’ll likely need 6-10 treatments per area. Hair grows in different stages and at different rates for everyone, so it depends again on each individual person and the area being treated.
5. How often/far apart should the treatments be?
Treatments are done 4-6 weeks apart for the face and 4-8 weeks apart for the body.
- Do I need to do anything to prepare for the treatment?
Make sure your skin is clean. Do not apply any lotions, creams, or makeup before your session, and stop using any products that might irritate your skin 2-3 days before. Remove all jewelry around the area being treated. The technician will shave and clean the area before starting your treatment. They may ask about your medical history, so it helps to have that information ready. You should also avoid tanning before your treatment.
DURING THE TREATMENT
- How long does each treatment session take?
It depends on where you’re getting the treatment—an upper lip will be much faster than both legs.
- What does the treatment feel like?
You’ll feel some heat in the area, but this will only last a short while, thanks to the real-time cooling system that kicks in right away to help minimize discomfort. The treatment itself feels like the light snap with an elastic band against your skin as the applicator moves around the treatment area.
- Will it be painful?
The applicator has a built-in cooling feature to make the treatment as comfortable as possible, but you might feel a bit of discomfort if you’re treating a more sensitive area, like along the bikini line. If you find it too uncomfortable, let your treatment provider know and they can adjust the settings accordingly.
AFTER THE TREATMENT
- How will feel after my treatment?
Your skin may look dry and feel a little itchy because the operator has to dry-shave the area before starting the treatment. Moisturizing can help relieve the itch. Other than that, you shouldn’t really feel any different after your treatment.
- How long will the results last and are they permanent?
It depends on how your hair grows. Some people may see longer-lasting hair removal, while others who see sporadic hair growth in the area may need touch-up treatments to maintain the results.
- Is there any downtime?
There is no downtime. You can return to your daily schedule immediately after your treatment.
- Do I need to do anything after my treatment?
Be sure to gently clean the treated area twice a day and apply sunscreen; however, avoid excessive sun exposure. You should also avoid hot baths, massages, or any treatment that requires direct contact with the skin for the first 2 days after your treatment. Avoid tanning for at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks afterward.
- If I got a treatment on my face, can I put makeup up on right after?
Yes, you can apply makeup immediately after you treatment, but make sure you put on sunscreen first.